The Federal Trade Commission is seeking comment on topics related to the use of digital “dark patterns,” a range of potentially deceptive or unfair user interface designs used on websites and mobile apps, that will be discussed at the agency’s April 29, 2021 workshop.
The FTC is seeking comment on several topics that will be discussed at the workshop, Bringing Dark Patterns to Light: An FTC Workshop, including:
- The definition of dark patterns;
- The prevalence of dark patterns in the marketplace;
- The use of artificial intelligence and machine learning to design and deliver dark patterns;
- The effectiveness of dark patterns at influencing consumer choice, decision-making, or behavior;
- The harms dark patterns pose to consumers or competition; and
- Ways to prevent, mitigate, and remediate the harmful effects of dark patterns.
The Federal Trade Commission works to promote competition, stop deceptive and unfair business practices and scams, and educate consumers. Report fraud, scams, or bad business practices at ReportFraud.ftc.gov. Get consumer advice at consumer.ftc.gov. Also, follow the FTC on social media, subscribe to press releases, and read the FTC’s blogs.