THE FTC DURING THE ADMINISTRATION OF GEORGE W. BUSH (2001-2009)
More Than Law Enforcement: The FTC’s Many Tools – A Conversation with Tim Muris and Bob Pitofsky 72 Antitrust L.J. 773 (2005). An extended discussion between two prominent FTC Chairs.
In addition, the ABA Oral History Project has interviews with:
- Pamela J. Harbour, Commissioner, 2003-2010. Harbour had earlier served in the New York State Attorney General’s office, and has worked in the private sector. (Interview conducted in 2011.)
- William E. Kovacic, Commissioner, 2006-2011; Chairman, 2008-09; Vice Chair for Outreach, International Competition Network, 2009-11. Kovacic had previously served on the Commission’s staff from 1979 to 1983 and as General Counsel from 2001 to 2004. He has been a Professor at George Mason University Law School and George Washington University Law School. (Interview conducted in 2012.)
- Thomas P. Leary. As noted above, following a career in the private sector, Leary served as a Commissioner from 1999 to 2005. (Interview conducted in 2007.)
- Deborah Platt Majoras, Chairman, 2004-2008. Majoras had previously served in the Antitrust Division and had worked in the private sector. (Interview conducted in 2011.)
- Timothy Muris. As noted above, Muris had earlier served as Assistant Director of the FTC Planning Office (1974-76), and would later serve as Director of the Bureau of Consumer Protection (1981-83), Director of the Bureau of Competition (1983-85), and Chairman (2001-04). He also served with the Executive Office of the President, Office of Management and Budget.
See also materials listed under Broad Surveys.