Application for modification of Commission order:
- The FTC has received a petition from the following requesting that the Commission modify a previously issued order: Alliant Techsystems Inc. On March 16, 1993, the Commission approved a final order prohibiting Alliant from acquiring or selling any interests or assets of a system contractor for 30mm lightweight ammunition or 120mm tank ammunition without prior approval of the Commission for 10 years from the date of the order. Citing the Commission's "Prior Approval Policy Statement," issued in June of 1995, Alliant has requested that the FTC modify the original order to replace the "prior approval" requirement with a "prior notice" requirement.
The Commission is accepting public comments on this application for 30 days, until July 17, 2000. Written comments should be sent to: Federal Trade Commission, Office of the Secretary, Room H-159, 600 Pennsylvania Ave., N.W., Washington, D.C. 20580. (Docket No. 9524; staff contact is Elizabeth A. Piotrowski, 202-326-2623; see press releases dated December 18, 1992 and March 22, 1993.)
Consent agreements given final approval:
- Following a public comment period, the Commission has made final a consent agreement with the following: Alternative Cigarettes, Inc. (File No. 992-3022; staff contact is Matthew Gold, Western Regional Office, 415-356-5276; see press release dated April 27, 2000.)
- Following a public comment period, the Commission also made final a consent agreement with the following: Santa Fe Natural Tobacco Company, Inc. The Commission vote to finalize the consent order was 5-0 in each matter. (File No. 992-3026; staff contact is Michael Ostheimer, 202-326-2699; see press release dated April 27, 2000.)
- Following a public comment period, the Commission has made final a consent agreement with the following: Colegio de Cirujanos Dentistas de Puerto Rico. The Commission vote to finalize the consent order was 5-0. (File No. 971-0038; staff contact is Steven J. Osnowitz, 202-326-2746 ; see press release dated March 21, 2000.)
- Following a public comment period, the Commission has made final consent agreements with the following: QVC, Inc. and The Quigley Corporation. The Commission vote to finalize the consent orders was 4-0, with Commissioner Thomas B. Leary not participating. (File No. 982-3152; staff contact is Daniel Kaufman, 202-326-2675; see press release dated November 23, 1999.)
- Following a public comment period, the Commission has made final a consent agreement with the following: Bumble Bee Seafoods, Inc. The Commission vote to finalize the consent order was 5-0. (FTC File No. 982-3560; staff contact is Donald D'Amato, Northeast Region, Bureau of Consumer Protection, 212-607-2802; see press release dated January 10, 2000.)
Commission action regarding applications for approval:
- Following a public comment period, the Commission has approved three applications and rejected two others related to the following matter: Ceridian Corporation. The applications relate to Ceridian's acquisitions of NTS, Inc. and Trendar Corporation (Docket No. C3993), which were consummated in 1995 and 1997 respectively. To remedy the anticompetitive effects of those transactions on the trucking "fleet card" industry, the Commission entered a decision and order requiring Ceridian to grant a variety of licenses, including a 10-year license to process Comdata card transactions to all competitors in the point-of-service (POS) device market that currently process such transactions, and to the first three qualified applicants that submit applications to, and are approved by, the Commission.
After receiving a number of applications, the Commission has approved those from: 1) Controlled Commerce Integrated Systems, Inc.; 2) Fis-Cal Systems, Inc.; and 3) Storepoint, Inc. It has rejected the applications of: 1) Flying J and; 2) THC LLC. The Commission vote to approve the three applications and reject the two applications was 5-0. (Docket No. C-3933; staff contact is Ann B. Malester, 202-326-2682; see press release dated April 6, 2000.)
Copies of the documents mentioned in this release are available from the FTC's web site at http://www.ftc.gov and also from the FTC's Consumer Response Center, Room 130, 600 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W., Washington, D.C. 20580; toll free: 877-FTC-HELP (877-382-4357); TDD for the hearing impaired 202-326-2502. To find out the latest news as it is announced, call the FTC NewsPhone recording at 202-326-2710.