As part of its ongoing periodic review of its rules and guides, the Federal Trade Commission is seeking public comment on its Guides Against Deceptive Labeling and Advertising of Adhesive Compositions (Guides). The FTC requests comments about the overall costs and benefits of the guides and their regulatory and economic impact will be published soon in the Federal Register and comments will be accepted for 60 days.
The Guides, effective since 1967, are intended to prevent misrepresentations regarding the composition, physical properties and uses of certain specified types of adhesive products. They advise on what types of claims made about these products will be viewed as deceptive in advertising or labeling.
The Commission seeks public comment on a number of questions, including the following:
- Is there a continuing need for the Adhesive Compositions Guides?
- What changes, if any, should be made to the Guides to increase the benefits of the Guides to purchasers?
- What significant burdens or costs (including costs of compliance) have the Guides imposed on firms subject to their advice?
- Since the Guides were issued, what effects have changes in the global marketplace, relevant technology (such as the Internet, e-mail, or CD ROM advertising), or economic conditions had on the Guides? If so, in what manner? Does use of this new technology affect consumers’ rights or sellers’ responsibilities under the Guides?
- Do the Guides overlap or conflict with other federal, state, or local laws or regulations?
- Are there industry standards covering any of the issues addressed by the Guides and what are they?
Comments should be addressed to: Secretary, Federal Trade Commission, Room H-159, Sixth Street and Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W., Washington, D.C. 20580 and should be identified as "Adhesive Compositions Guides, 16 CFR Part 235 -- Comment." E-mail comments will be accepted at: email@example.com, and should be accompanied by a return e-mail address to which an acknowledgment of receipt can be sent.
The Commission vote to publish the Federal Register notice concerning the Guides was 5-0.
Copies of the Federal Register notice and the Guides are available from the FTC’s web site at http://www.ftc.gov and also from the FTC’s Consumer Response Center, Room 130, 6th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W., Washington, D.C. 20580; 202-FTC-HELP (202- 382-4357); TDD for the hearing impaired 1-866-653-4261. To find out the latest news as it is announced, call the FTC NewsPhone recording at 202-326-2710.
(FTC File No. P988902)
San Francisco Regional Office