Federal Trade Commission Chairman Robert Pitofsky, with the concurrence of his fellow Commissioners, has named to his senior staff a team of individuals with extensive collective experience at the agency, in the private sector and in academia. They are:
- William J. Baer, Director of the Bureau of Competition. Baer has been a partner at the Washington, D.C. law firm of Arnold and Porter since 1983; was Assistant General Counsel for Legislation and Congressional Relations (1978-1980); Assistant to former FTC Chairman Michael Pertschuk (19771978); Assistant to the Director of the FTC's Bureau of Consumer Protection (1976-1977); and a member of the Clinton-Gore Transition Team for the FTC. A Cum Laude graduate of Lawrence University, he received a J.D. from Stanford Law School.
- Joan Z. (Jodie) Bernstein, Director of the Bureau of Consumer Protection. Bernstein was Vice President of Ethics and Environmental Relations at WMX Technologies, Inc. (19901995); Vice President and General Counsel at Chemical Waste Management (1985-1990); General Counsel of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (1979-1980); General Counsel and Acting Assistant Administrator at the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (1976-1979); and Deputy Director and Acting Director of the FTC's Bureau of Consumer Protection in the 1970s. She received a B.A. from the University of Wisconsin and a J.D. from Yale Law School.
- Jonathan B. Baker, Director of the Bureau of Economics. Baker formerly was a Senior Economist at the Council of Economic Advisers at the White House (1993-1995); has served in senior positions at the Justice Department's Antitrust Division (1990-1993); was an Attorney Advisor to Acting Chairman and Commissioner Terry Calvani at the FTC (19851986); has been an Adjunct Professor at Georgetown University Law Center (1990-1995); and an Assistant Professor at The Amos Tuck School of Business Administration at Dartmouth College (1986-1990). He received a Ph.D. from Stanford University, and a B.A. and a J.D. from Harvard University.
- Stephen Calkins, General Counsel. Calkins was a Professor at Wayne State University Law School (1988-1995) in Michigan; served as Interim Dean there (1992-1993); and has been a Visiting Professor at the University of Pennsylvania Law School, the University of Michigan Law School, and the University of Utrecht, The Netherlands. He also was an Attorney Advisor to the late FTC Commissioner Stephen A. Nye (1975-1976), and was Counsel to the American Bar Association Section of Antitrust Law Special Committee on the Role of the FTC (Kirkpatrick II). He received a B.A. from Yale University and a J.D. from Harvard Law School.
- More information about the Federal Trade Commission is available from the FTC's Public Reference Branch, Room 130, 6th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W., Washington, D.C. 20580.