The FTC has issued a Notice that it has determined that certain acts or practices in the education marketplace are deceptive or unfair and, thus, are unlawful under Section 5 of the Federal Trade Commission Act.
- Notice of Penalty Offenses Concerning Deceptive or Unfair Conduct in the Education Marketplace (2021)
- Sample cover letter sent to recipients of this Notice
- Related Release: FTC Targets False Claims by For-Profit Colleges
The FTC administrative decisions cited in the Notice are available below:
- In the Matter of Macmillan, Inc., 96 F.T.C. 208 (1980)
- In the Matter of E. Detective Acad., Inc., 78 F.T.C. 1428 (1971)
- In the Matter of Nat'l Inst. of Prac. Nursing, 48 F.T.C. 1253 (1952)
About Notices of Penalty Offenses
A Notice of Penalty Offenses is a document listing certain types of conduct that the FTC has determined, in one or more litigated administrative cases, to be unfair or deceptive in violation of the FTC Act.
- Learn more about Notices of Penalty Offenses