UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
In the Matter of
UMAX TECHNOLOGIES, INC., a corporation.
DOCKET NO. C-3928
The Federal Trade Commission, having reason to believe that UMAX Technologies, Inc., a corporation ("respondent"), has violated the provisions of the Federal Trade Commission Act, and it appearing to the Commission that this proceeding is in the public interest, alleges:
1. Respondent UMAX Technologies, Inc., is a California corporation with its principal office or place of business at 3561 Gateway Boulevard, Fremont, California 94538.
2. Respondent has advertised, labeled, offered for sale, sold, and distributed products to the public, including computer scanners.
3. The acts and practices of respondent alleged in this complaint have been in or affecting commerce, as "commerce" is defined in Section 4 of the Federal Trade Commission Act.
4. Respondent has disseminated or has caused to be disseminated labeling and rebate coupons for computer scanners, including but not necessarily limited to the attached Exhibits A and B. The labeling and rebate coupons contain the following statements:
5. Through the means described in Paragraph 4, respondent has represented, expressly or by implication, that purchasers of UMAX scanners would receive cash rebates within 12 weeks of respondent's receipt of their requests.
6. In truth and in fact, in numerous instances, purchasers of UMAX scanners did not receive cash rebates within 12 weeks of respondent's receipt of their requests. In many instances, consumers experienced delays of one to five months in receiving their cash rebates. Therefore, the representation set forth in Paragraph 5 was, and is, false or misleading.
7. The acts and practices of respondent as alleged in this complaint constitute unfair or deceptive acts or practices in or affecting commerce in violation of Section 5(a) of the Federal Trade Commission Act.
THEREFORE, the Federal Trade Commission this seventeenth day of February, 2000, has issued this complaint against respondent.
By the Commission.
Donald S. Clark