THE WIRE WORKS, INC., and ELECTRODES, INC., corporations.
DOCKET NO. C-3908
The Federal Trade Commission, having reason to believe that The Wire Works, Inc., and
Electrodes, Inc., corporations ("respondents"), have violated the provisions of
the Federal Trade Commission Act, and it appearing to the Commission that this proceeding
is in the public interest, alleges:
1. Respondent The Wire Works, Inc. is a Connecticut corporation with its principal
office or place of business at 252 Depot Road, Milford, Connecticut.
2. Respondent Electrodes, Inc. is a Connecticut corporation with its principal office
or place of business at 252 Depot Road, Milford, Connecticut. Electrodes, Inc. is the
exclusive distributor for The Wire Works, Inc.
3. Respondents have manufactured, advertised, labeled, offered for sale, sold, and/or
distributed products to the public, including drawn brass wire sold as electrical
discharge machining ("EDM") wire electrodes.
4. The acts and practices of respondents alleged in this complaint have been in or
affecting commerce, as "commerce" is defined in Section 4 of the Federal Trade
5. Respondents have disseminated or have caused to be disseminated advertisements and
labels for their EDM wire electrodes product, including but not necessarily limited to the
attached Exhibits A and B. These advertisements and labels contain the following
A. "[M]anufactured right here in the USA" (Exhibit A); and
B. "Made in USA" (Exhibit B).
6. Through the means described in Paragraph 5, respondents have represented, expressly
or by implication, that their EDM wire electrodes product is made in the United States, i.e.,
that all, or virtually all, of the components of their EDM wire electrodes product are of
U.S. origin, and that all, or virtually all, of the labor in manufacturing their EDM wire
electrodes product is performed in the United States.
7. In truth and in fact, a substantial portion of the components in their EDM wire
electrodes product is, or has been, of foreign origin, and a substantial amount of the
labor in manufacturing the EDM wire electrodes product is, or has been, performed in
Mexico. Therefore, the representations set forth in Paragraph 6 were, and are, false or
8. The acts and practices of respondents as alleged in this complaint constitute unfair
or deceptive acts or practices in or affecting commerce in violation of Section 5(a) of
the Federal Trade Commission Act.
THEREFORE, the Federal Trade Commission this sixth day of December, 1999, has issued
this complaint against respondents.
By the Commission, Commission Leary not participating.
Benjamin I. Berman