UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION
In the Matter of
THE WIRE WORKS, INC., and
ELECTRODES, INC., corporations.
The Federal Trade Commission, having reason to believe that The Wire
Works, Inc., and Electrodes, Inc., corporations
("respondents"), have violated the provisions of the Federal
Trade Commission Act, and it appearing to the Commission that this
proceeding is in the public interest, alleges:
- 1. Respondent The Wire Works, Inc. is a Connecticut corporation
with its principal office or place of business at 252 Depot Road,
- 2. Respondent Electrodes, Inc. is a Connecticut corporation with
its principal office or place of business at 252 Depot Road,
Milford, Connecticut. Electrodes, Inc. is the exclusive distributor
for The Wire Works, Inc.
- 3. Respondents have manufactured, advertised, labeled, offered for
sale, sold, and/or distributed products to the public, including
drawn brass wire sold as electrical discharge machining ("EDM")
- 4. The acts and practices of respondents alleged in this complaint
have been in or affecting commerce, as "commerce" is
defined in Section 4 of the Federal Trade Commission Act.
- 5. Respondents have disseminated or have caused to be disseminated
advertisements and labels for their EDM wire electrodes product,
including but not necessarily limited to the attached Exhibits A and
B. These advertisements and labels contain the following statements:
- A. "[M]anufactured right here in the USA" (Exhibit
- B. "Made in USA" (Exhibit B).
- 6. Through the means described in Paragraph 5, respondents have
represented, expressly or by implication, that their EDM wire
electrodes product is made in the United States, i.e., that
all, or virtually all, of the components of their EDM wire
electrodes product are of U.S. origin, and that all, or virtually
all, of the labor in manufacturing their EDM wire electrodes product
is performed in the United States.
- 7. In truth and in fact, a substantial portion of the components
in their EDM wire electrodes product is, or has been, of foreign
origin, and a substantial amount of the labor in manufacturing the
EDM wire electrodes product is, or has been, performed in Mexico.
Therefore, the representations set forth in Paragraph 6 were, and
are, false or misleading.
- 8. The acts and practices of respondents as alleged in this
complaint constitute unfair or deceptive acts or practices in or
affecting commerce in violation of Section 5(a) of the Federal Trade
THEREFORE, the Federal Trade Commission this day of , 1999,
has issued this complaint against respondents.
By the Commission.
Donald S. Clark