UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
In the Matter of
RAND INTERNATIONAL LEISURE PRODUCTS, LTD., a corporation
The Federal Trade Commission, having reason to believe that Rand International Leisure Products, Ltd. ("respondent") has violated the provisions of the Federal Trade Commission Act, and it appearing to the Commission that this proceeding is in the public interest, alleges:
1. Respondent Rand International Leisure Products, Ltd. is a New York corporation with its principal office or place of business at 52 Executive Boulevard, Farmingdale, New York 11735.
2. Respondent has labeled, offered for sale, sold, and distributed products to the public, including the Signature Self-Sealing Tube ("Self-Sealing Tube").
3. The acts and practices of respondent alleged in this complaint have been in or affecting commerce, as "commerce" is defined in Section 4 of the Federal Trade Commission Act.
4. Respondent has disseminated or has caused to be disseminated packaging for its Self-Sealing Tube, including but not necessarily limited to the attached Exhibit A. The packaging contains the following statement:
5. Through the means described in Paragraph 4, respondent has represented, expressly or by implication, that its Self-Sealing Tubes are made in the United States, i.e., that all, or virtually all, of the component parts of the Self-Sealing Tubes are made in the United States, and that all, or virtually all, of the labor in manufacturing the Self-Sealing Tubes is performed in the United States.
6. In truth and in fact, the Self-Sealing Tubes packaged in Exhibit A were, or are, finished in the United States from imported tubes that were, or are, manufactured in Taiwan. Therefore, the representations set forth in paragraph 5 were, and are, false or misleading.
7. The acts and practices of respondent as alleged in this complaint constitute unfair or deceptive acts or practices in or affecting commerce in violation of Section 5(a) of the Federal Trade Commission Act.
THEREFORE, the Federal Trade Commission this ____ day of ____________, 1998, has issued this complaint against respondent.
By the Commission.
Donald S. Clark