Seeking technology researchers, engineers, user experience researchers, content strategists, data scientists, product managers (remote)
The Federal Trade Commission is looking for thoughtful and collaborative leaders to work on a variety of technology-related consumer protection and competition issues throughout the agency. Created in 1914, the FTC’s mission is to protect consumers and competition by preventing anticompetitive, deceptive, and unfair business practices through law enforcement, advocacy, and education without unduly burdening legitimate business activity.
What we’re looking for
We are seeking technology researchers, engineers, UX designers, content strategists, and product managers to join us at the FTC. We aim to hire people who can adapt to a project’s needs, though we also hire specialists for particular projects. You will be working on consumer protection or competition related projects that are relevant to your specific area of expertise. You will be part of a growing team of technologists and tech researchers who will help the FTC ensure a vibrant technology marketplace, conduct investigations, and hold accountable companies and people that harm consumers, workers, and small businesses.
We are committed to building a team that is reflective of the communities we serve and strongly encourage people of color, LGBTQ+ individuals, women, minorities, people with disabilities, system-impacted people, veterans, and people of all ages to apply.
We are seeking a variety of candidates with skills or subject matter expertise related to computational technology and the tech industry that produces it, including but not limited to:
- advertising technology
- artificial intelligence
- computer science
- content management & strategy
- data analysis
- data science
- digital forensics
- human-centered design
- quantitative and qualitative research
- product management
- programming and application development
- service design
- social science research or fieldwork
- software engineering
- social media and tech platforms
- user experience design and user research
What you will do
At the FTC, you will be working on consumer protection or competition projects that are relevant to your specific area of expertise. We aim to hire people who can adapt to a project's needs, though we also hire specialists for particular projects. You will:
- Work on small teams to drive the investigative efforts of our work for projects that affect millions of consumers. You’ll be involved from concept to implementation, technical investigative research, and championing user needs.
- Conceptualize, develop, and conduct a research project, potentially using a range of technical or design methods.
- Develop and produce written and verbal reports, memos, and briefing materials in tandem with other analysts and subject matter experts.
- You will collaborate closely with the Office of the Chief Technologist, the Office of Technology Research and Investigation, and our attorneys to provide leadership and insights that will help the FTC effectively protect consumers and competition in the digital world and stay on the cutting edge of technology.
- Equal parts systems thinker and advocate for end users and those affected by technology
- Highly resourceful, reliable, and detail-oriented self-starter
- Ability to work independently with minimal oversight
- Ability to lead or contribute to investigative research, and conduct in-depth user interviews and usability studies
- Ability to communicate complex technical concepts with non-technical audiences
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated experience managing down, laterally, and up for successful outcomes
How to submit interest
If you are a federal government employee, please apply through Open Opportunities.
If you work elsewhere (e.g. in academia, at a non-profit, or in the private sector) please submit the following to email@example.com (link sends e-mail) and we’ll reach out as we continue to expand technology expertise and roles at the FTC:
- Cover letter (1-page) describing your current work and why you would be the ideal candidate for this position
- Your resume
- A link to your portfolio (if relevant)
For any questions, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org (link sends e-mail).