David J. Balan
- "Merger-Specificity of Quality and Cost Efficiencies in Hospital Merger Cases,” Competition Policy International Antitrust Chronicle, 2017.
- "Hospital Mergers That Don't Happen," NEJM Catalyst, 2016.
- "Economics at the FTC: Fraud, Mergers and Exclusion," with Patrtick DeGraba, Francine Lafontaine, Patrick McAlvanah, Devesh Raval, and David Schmidt, Review of Industrial Organization, 2015.
- "Better Product at Same Cost: Leader Innovation vs. Generic Product Improvement," with George Deltas, The Analysis of Competition Policy and Sectoral Regulation, 2014.
- "Better Product at Same Cost, Lower Sales and Lower Welfare," with George Deltas, International Journal of Industrial Organization, 2013.
- "The Correlation between Human Capital and Morality and its Effect on Economic Performance: Theory and Evidence," with Stephen Knack, Journal of Comparative Economics, 2012.
- "Economics at the FTC: Hospital Mergers, Authorized Generic Drugs, and Consumer Credit Markets," with Joseph Farrell, Keith Brand, and Brett W. Wendling, Review of Industrial Organization, 2011.
- "A Retrospective Analysis of the Clinical Quality Effects of the Acquisition of Highland Park Hospital by Evanston Northwestern Healthcare," with Patrick Romano, International Journal of the Economics of Business, 2011.
- "Competitive Effects of Hospital Mergers," Impact Assessment of Interventions of Competition and Consumer Authorities Conference. Amsterdam, Netherlands (2016)
- "Bargaining in Hospital Merger Models," International Industrial Organization Conference. Boston, MA (2013)
- "Better Product at Same Cost, Lower Sales and Lower Welfare," University of Oregon. Eugene, OR (2012)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
BA Economics, History, Philosophy
Fields of Interest
- Industrial Organization
- Health Economics
- Applied Microeconomics
Federal Trade Commission
Senior Economist (On Detail)
Council of Economic Advisers