Thomas B. Leary Commissioner
- Dream the Big Dreams
This is the written version of personal remarks delivered at the Commissioner's Farewell Reception on December 22, 2005
- Federal Civil Remedies for Antitrust Offenses: Statement of Commissioner Thomas B. Leary Before the Antitrust Modernization Commission
This is the Statement that Commissioner Leary delivered before the Commission on December 1, 2005
- Health Care: An Interview with Commissioner Thomas B. Leary
This is an interview with Commissioner Leary conducted by the ABA Antitrust Section Health Care Committee Newsletter, published in the ABA's Antitrust Health Care Chronicle, October 2005, Vol. 19, No. 3.
- The Bipartisan Legacy
This is the written version of a speech delivered at the American Antitrust Institute's Sixth Annual Conference at the National Press Club in Washington, D.C. on June 21, 2005. The remarks are to be published in a future edition of the Tulane University Law Journal.
- The Legitimate Uses of Social Security Numbers, and Their Misuse for Identity Theft Purposes
Testimony of Commissioner Leary Before the Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation of the United States Senate, June 16, 2005
- Category Management: An Interview with FTC Commissioner Thomas B. Leary
This is an interview with Commissioner Leary conducted by the ABA Section of Antitrust Law, Sherman Act Section 2 Committee, published in the Sherman Act Section 2 Committee's newsletter, Vol. III No. 2 (Spring 2005)
- "The Muris Legacy"
This is a later written version of a speech delivered at a program of the American Bar Association, Section of Antitrust Law, held in connection with the Annual Meeting of the Association on August 7, 2004, just eight days before the effective date of Chairman Muris’ resignation.
- "The Economic Roots of Antitrust," An Outline.
This outline was prepared for a presentation at the International Seminar on Antitrust Law and Economic Development, held at the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences Institute of Law in Beijing, China, on July 1, 2004.
- "A Second Look at Category Management"
This paper is based on oral remarks delivered on May 17, 2004, at the 23rd Annual Food Marketing Institute Legal Conference in Tucson, Arizona, and also on June 23, 2003, at the American Antitrust Institute's Roundtable Discussion on Antitrust and Category Captains, in Washington, D.C.
- "Self Regulation and The Interface Between Consumer Protection and Antitrust"
This is a slightly modified version of informal remarks delivered at a lunchtime seminar hosted by the Dewey Ballantine law firm in Washington, D.C., January 28, 2004 [PDF 21K]
- Competition Law and Consumer Protection Law: Two Wings of the Same House.
This is the written version of a speech delivered at the FTC 90th Anniversary Symposium on September 22, 2004, in Washington, D.C. It is published in 72 Antitrust L.J. 1147 (2005). [PDF 28K]
- "Antitrust in a Technology Economy: What's New and What's Not."
This is a written version of the speech delivered on June 6, 2003, at the Stanford Conference on Antitrust in the Technology Economy, jointly sponsored by the ABA Section of Antitrust Law and Stanford Law School. [PDF 28K]
- Special Challenges for Antitrust in Health Care
This article is a written version of a speech given at a forum on Antitrust and Health Care jointly sponsored by the Health Lawyers Association and the ABA Sections of Antitrust Law and Health Law (May 15, 2003), and is published in Antitrust, Spring 2004, Volume 18, No. 2, at 23. [PDF 367K]
- The FTC and Class Actions
Based on oral remarks before The Class Action Litigation Summit, Washington, D.C., on June 26, 2003.
- The Dialogue Between Students of Business and Students of Antitrust
Given at the American Antitrust Institute's program on "Stretching the Envelope" on April 22, 2003. It is printed in 47 New York Law School Law Review 1 (2003). Similar remarks were presented at the Notre Dame Research Workshop and Conference on Marketing, Competitive Conduct and Antitrust Policy on May 3, 2002. [PDF 49K]
- A Structured Outline for the Analysis of Horizontal Agreements
This revision of a paper first presented a year ago was prepared for distribution at The Conference Board 2004 Antitrust Conference (Mar. 3-4, 2004). [PDF 27K]
- Lessons from Real Life: True Stories that Illustrate the Art and Science of Cost-Effective Counseling
This article is a later written version of remarks delivered on October 25, 2002, at the ABA Section of Antitrust Law Antitrust Masters Course in Sea Island, Georgia, and is published in the March, 2003 edition of The Antitrust Source, www.antitrustsource.com [PDF 83K]
- The Antitrust Implications of "Clinical Integration:" An Analysis of FTC Staff's Advisory Opinion to MedSouth
This article is based on a speech delivered at the Saint Louis University Health Law Symposium on April 12, 2002, and is published in issue 47:2 of the Saint Louis University Law Journal, at page 217. [PDF 47K]
- Allies In A Common Cause
This paper is based on the transcript of informal remarks delivered at a Conference on Dietary Supplements of the Food and Drug Law Institute, Washington, D.C., January 16, 2003. [PDF 21K]
- The Spell of the Gherkin,
before the Castro C. Geer Chapter of the Federal Trade Commission Alumni Association Annual Business Meeting, Washington, D.C., December 18, 2002.
- Efficiencies and Antitrust: A Story of Ongoing Evolution
Prepared remarks before ABA Section of Antitrust Law, 2002 Fall Forum, Washington, DC, November 8, 2002.
- The Federal Trade Commission and the Defense of Free Markets
before David T. Chase Free Enterprise Institute, Eastern Connecticut State University, Willimantic, Connecticut, October 7, 2002 [PDF 30K]
- An Inside Look at the Heinz Case
This comment is adapted from a speech before the Association of the Bar of the City of New York, NY, December 4, 2001, and has been published in Antitrust, Spring 2002, Vol. 16, No. 2, at 32.
- The Essential Stability of Merger Policy in the United States
Prepared remarks before Guidelines for Merger Remedies: Prospects and Principles, Joint U.S./E.U. Conference, Sponsored by the University of California at Berkeley School of Law, Berkeley Center for Law & Technology, and Ecole Nationale Superieure des Mines de Paris, Paris, France; published in 70 Antitrust L.J. 105 (2002).
- A Comment on Merger Enforcement in the United States and in the European Union
Prepared remarks before the Transatlantic Business Dialogue Principals Meeting, Washington, DC, October 11, 2001.
- Antitrust Issues in the Settlement of Pharmaceutical Patent Disputes, Part II
This essay is based on a speech before the American Bar Association Healthcare Program, in Washington, DC, May 17, 2001, and is published in the December 2001 edition of the Journal of Health Law, Vol. 34, at 657.
- The Need for Objective and Predictable Standards in the Law of Predation
before the Steptoe & Johnson and Analysis Group/Economics 2001 Antitrust Conference, Washington, DC, May 10, 2001.
- State Auto Dealer Regulation: One Man's Preliminary View
before the International Franchise Association 34th Annual Legal Symposium, Washington, DC, May 8, 2001, and also published in the ABA's Franchise Law Journal, Vol. 21, No. 2, Fall 2001, at 65.
- The Patent-Antitrust Interface
based on a speech before the American Bar Association's Section of Antitrust Law Program, "Intellectual Property and Antitrust: Navigating the Minefield," Philadelphia, PA, May 3, 2001.
- Antitrust Economics: Three Cheers and Two Challenges
This paper is based on talks before a conference sponsored by the economic consulting firm of Charles River Associates, Washington, DC, November 15, 2000, and on July 7, 2001, at the meetings of the Western Economic Association, and more recently updated.
- Antitrust Issues in Settlement of Pharmaceutical Patent Disputes
This essay is based on a speech before the Sixth Annual Health Care Antitrust Forum, Northwestern University School of Law, Chicago, IL, November 3, 2000, and is published in Vol. 14 of the Antitrust Health Care Chron., Winter 2000/2001 at 4.
- Distribution Law Developments At The Federal Trade Commission
before the Distribution and Dealer Termination, 21st Anniversary Seminar, Law Journal Seminars, New York, NY, June 26, 2000.
- The Significance of Variety in Antitrust Analysis
This essay is based on a speech before the Steptoe & Johnson 2000 Antitrust Conference, Washington, DC, May 18, 2000, and is published at 68 Antitrust Law Journal 1007 (2001).
- The Two Faces of Electronic Commerce
April 28, 2000
- Unfairness and the Internet
This essay is based on a speech before the Wayne State University Law Review, "Unfair Practices and the Internet" Symposium, Detroit, MI, April 13, 2000, and is published in Volume 46:4 of The Wayne State Law Review, Winter 2000, at 1711.
- Freedom as the Core Value of Antitrust in the New Millennium
before the ABA Antitrust Section 48th Annual Spring Meeting Chair's Showcase Program, Antitrust at the Millennium: Looking Back and Moving Forward, Washington, DC, April 6, 2000.
- Antitrust Law As A Balancing Act
before the Tenth Annual Seattle Computer Law Conference, Seattle, WA, December 17, 1999.