William Blumenthal, General Counsel
Office of the General Counsel, Federal Trade Commission
- Recent Privacy Developments at the FTC
Delivered before the Twenty-Ninth Asia Pacific Privacy Authorities Forum, in Seoul on June 19, 2008.
- Looking Towards Implementation of China's Anti-Monopoly Law
Delivered during a panel on "China’s First Comprehensive Antitrust Statute" at the Spring Meeting of the International Law Section of the American Bar Association, in New York on April 4, 2008. Substantially similar remarks were delivered before a breakfast meeting of the American Chamber of Commerce in Hong Kong, in Hong Kong on April 16, 2008.
- The ICN Recommended Practices for Merger Process: Why They Matter
Welcome Address delivered before the Merger Notification & Procedures Workshop on Implementing the Recommended Practices organized by the International Competition Network, in Brno, Czech Republic on March 18, 2008.
- Interview in Antitrust Source
Interview appearing in the ABA Antitrust Section's electronic publication The Antitrust Source, December 2007. © 2007 by the American Bar Association. Reproduced with permission. All rights reserved.
- Some Discussion Questions on Standard Setting and Technology Pools
Background materials to accompany remarks delivered during a panel on "Monopolization and Dominance: Legal Standards for Single-Firm Conduct" at the ABA Antitrust Section Fall Forum, in Washington on November 15, 2007.
- Addressing Dominance under China’s Anti-Monopoly Law
Delivered before a Symposium on Abuse of Dominance: Theory and Practice organized by the Competition Law Center of the University of International Business and Economics and the State Administration for Industry and Commerce, in Beijing on July 21, 2007.
- China’s Anti-Monopoly Law
Slides to accompany remarks delivered during a program on “Challenging the United States: Intellectual Property Issues in China” organized by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, in Alexandria, Virginia on July 11, 2007.
- Discussant Comments on Exploitative Abuses under Article 82 EC
Delivered before the Robert Schuman Centre of the European University Institute, Twelfth Annual Competition Law and Policy Workshop, in Florence on June 9, 2007 (forthcoming in European Competition Law Annual 2007: A Reformed Approach to Article 82 EC (Claus-Dieter Ehlermann & Mel Marquis eds.)).
- Government Policy for Fostering Innovation
Delivered before the Global Forum on Intellectual Property Rights Protection and Innovation organized by the China Council for the Promotion of International Trade and U.S. Chamber of Commerce, in Beijing on March 28, 2007.
- A Primer on the Application of Antitrust Law to the Professions in the United States
Background materials to accompany remarks delivered during the "Commissioner’s Panel” at the Annual Fall Conference on
Competition Law of the Canadian Bar Association, in Ottawa/Gatineau on September 29, 2006.
- Aligning Competition Policy and Patent Policy
Background materials to accompany remarks delivered during a panel on “Interplay between Regulatory Agencies and Federal Circuit Decision-Making” at the Eighth Bench and Bar Conference of the Federal Circuit Bar Association, in Santa Ana Pueblo, New Mexico on June 30, 2006. [ Related Slides]
- The Relationship between Competition Agencies and Other Units of Government
Delivered before an International Seminar on Review of Anti-Monopoly Law organized by the Ministry of Commerce, Asian Development Bank, and Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development, in Hangzhou on May 19, 2006.
- The Rhetoric of Gun-Jumping
Delivered before the Annual Antitrust Seminar of the Greater New York Chapter of the Association of Corporate Counsel, in New York on November 10, 2005. [Background Materials]
- The Status of Convergence on Transatlantic Merger Policy
Delivered at the beginning of a panel on "Cross-Atlantic Perspectives on Antitrust Enforcement" at the Fall Meeting of the International Law Section of the American Bar Association, in Brussels on October 27, 2005.
- Reducing Governmental Impediments to Capital Mobility
Delivered before the ASEAN Consultative Forum on Competition, Conference on Competition Law and Policy: How to Make Competition Law and Policy Play a Greater Role in ASEAN Economies, in Bangkok on August 17, 2005. [Related Slides]
- Merger and Acquisition Control: Conforming Procedures to ICN Recommendations
Delivered before an International Symposium on Competition Policy and Legislation organized by the State Administration for Industry and Commerce, in Beijing on June 27 and 28, 2005.
- Presentation to the International Symposium on the Draft Anti-Monopoly Law of the People's Republic of China
Delivered before an International Symposium organized by the Legislative Affairs Office of the State Council, together with the Ministry of Commerce and the State Administration for Industry and Commerce, in Beijing on May 23 and 24, 2005.
- Recent Developments in the Merger Review Process in the United States and the International Competition Network
Delivered before the International Bar Association and Japanese Federation of Bar Associations, Conference on International Competition Enforcement, in Tokyo on April 20, 2005.