Speeches -- 2006
- "A View from The FTC: New Trends in Marketing and Promotion and New Challenges in Enforcement"
Thomas Rosch, Before the 28th Annual Promotion Marketing Law Conference, Chicago, IL
December 13, 2006.
- "Monopsony and The Meaning of 'Consumer Welfare,' A Closer Look at Weyerhaeuser"
Thomas Rosch, Before the 2006 Milton Handler Annual Antitrust Review, New York, NY
December 7, 2006
- Keynote Address: Minding Your Business: The Future of Privacy
U.S. Chamber of Commerce. National Chamber Foundation.
Deborah Platt Majoras, Washington, D.C., December 5, 2006
- “Competition Choke Points?”
Thomas Rosch, Before the 2006 Global Forum, Paris France
November 9, 2006
- The Changing Internet: Hips Don’t Lie
Remarks of Commissioner Jon Leibowitz at the “Protecting Consumers in the Next Tech-ade” Hearing, November 6, 2006
- "Introductory Remarks"
at the FTC Public Hearings on Protecting Consumers in the Next Tech-Ade,
Washington, DC, November 7, 2006.
- Opening Remarks
FTC Hearings: Protecting Consumers in the Next Tech-ade.
Deborah Platt Majoras, Washington, D.C., November 6, 2006
- Adoption of Trade Regulations in China, Scope and Effect: An American's View
Remarks Before the New York State Bar Association International Law and Practice Section Fall 2006 Meeting,
Pamela Jones Harbour, Shanghai, China, October 20, 2006.
- Statement in the Matter of The Boeing Company/ Lockheed Martin Corp., File No. 050165 (October 3, 2006)
Concurring Statement of Commissioner Pamela Jones Harbour
- How Settlements Make Strange Bedfellows: Or How the Federal Trade Commission has Managed to Unite the Entire Pharmaceutical Industry (but only in Opposition to the FTC’s Position on Exclusion Payment Settlements)
Jon Leibowitz, Generic Pharmaceutical Association's Annual Policy Conference
Washington, D.C. September 29, 2006
- The Legacy of Matsushita: Has this Thing Called Economics Gotten Way Out of Hand?
Michael A. Salinger, Director, Bureau of Economics, Presented at Matsushita at 20, Loyola University School of Law, Institute for Consumer Antitrust Studies, Chicago, September 29, 2006
- A Primer on the Application of Antitrust Law to the Professions in the United States
Background materials to accompany remarks delivered during the "Commissioner’s Panel” at the Annual Fall Conference on
Competition Law of the Canadian Bar Association, William Blumenthal, Ottawa/Gatineau on September 29, 2006.
- Remarks of FTC Chairman Deborah Platt Majoras,
ABA Antitrust Section Masters Program, September 28, 2006
- Remarks to the The Exchequer Club
Deborah Platt Majoras, Washington, D.C., September 20, 2006
- The Federal Trade Commission in the Online World: Promoting Competition and Protecting Consumers
Deborah Platt Majoras, Remarks to The Progress & Freedom Foundation’s Aspen Summit, August 21, 2006
- Looking for the Keys Under the Lamppost: Insights from Economics into Standards for Unilateral Conduct
Michael A. Salinger, Director, Bureau of Economics prepared comments before the ABA Section of Antitrust Law, Economics and Section 2 Committees BrownBag, Washington, DC, FTC Conference Center, July 24, 2006
- Barriers to Generic Entry, Testimony before the U.S. Senate Special Committee on Aging
Jon Leibowitz, July 20, 2006
- "Perspectives on Three Recent Votes: The Closing of the Adelphia Communications Investigation,
the Issuance of the Valassis Complaint & the Weyerhaeuser Amicus Brief"
Thomas Rosch, Before the National Economic Research Associates, 2006 Antitrust & Trade Regulation Seminar,
Santa Fe, NM, July 6, 2006.
- Prepared Statement of the Federal Trade Commission On Social Networking Sites, Presented by Commissioner Pamela Jones Harbour Before the Subcommittee on Oversight and Investigations of the Committee on Energy and Commerce of the United States House of Representatives, June 28, 2006.
- "Antitrust Modernization Commission Remarks"
Thomas Rosch, Delivered before the ABA Antitrust Modernization Commission Conference, Georgetown University Law Center, Washington, D.C., June 8, 2006
- Meadville Area Senior High School Commencement
Deborah Platt Majoras, Meadville, Pennsylvania, June 9, 2006
- “A Government Perspective on IP and Antitrust Law”
Deborah Platt Majoras, Delivered at The IP Grab: the Struggle Between Intellectual Property Rights and Antitrust, American Antitrust Institute, Washington, DC, June 21, 2006
- The Consumer Reigns: Using Section 2 to Ensure a "Competitive Kingdom"
Deborah Platt Majoras, Washington, D.C., June 20, 2006
- FTC Workshop: Protecting Consumers in the New Mortgage Marketplace
Deborah Platt Majoras, Washington, D.C., May 24, 2006
- Statement at the Initial Meeting of the President's Identity Theft Task Force
Deborah Platt Majoras, Washington D.C., May 22, 2006
- The Relationship between Competition Agencies and Other Units of Government
William Blumenthal, Delivered before an International Seminar on Review of Anti-Monopoly Law organized by the Ministry of Commerce, Asian Development Bank, and Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development, in Hangzhou on May 19, 2006.
- Concurring Statement Regarding The Federal Trade Commission Investigation of Gasoline Price Manipulation and Post-Katrina Gasoline Price Increases: A Commission Report to Congress
Jon Leibowitz, Spring 2006.
- "Social Security Numbers in Commerce: Reconciling Beneficial Uses with Threats to Privacy", Testimony before the Subcommittee on Commerce, Trade, and Consumer Protection of the House Committee on Energy and Commerce
Jon Leibowitz, May 11, 2006.
- "Reflections on the DG Competition Discussion Paper on the Application of Article 82 to Exclusionary Abuses"
Thomas Rosch, Remarks before the 13th Annual International Competition Law Forum, St. Gallen University, St. Gallen, Switzerland, May 11, 2006.
- Promoting Solutions to Childhood Obesity: Perspectives on Food Marketing and Self-Regulation
Deborah Platt Majoras, European Union Platform on Diet, Physical Activity and Health, Joint EU-US Meeting
Brussells, May 11, 2006
- Protecting Consumer Information in the 21st Century: The FTC's Principled Approach
Deborah Platt Majoras, Remarks at The Progress and Freedom Foundation, Securing the Internet Project
Internet Security Summit, Washington, D.C., May 10, 2006
- Remarks Before the 16th Annual Conference on Computers, Freedom and Privacy
Lydia B. Parnes, Director, Bureau of Consumer Protection, Federal Trade Commission, Washington, D.C., May 4, 2006
- Self Regulation in the Infomercial Industry: Moving Forward
Deborah Platt Majoras, Remarks at the Electronic Retailers Association Self-Regulatory Program, New York, NY, April 26, 2006
- Exclusion Payments to Settle Pharmaceutical Patent Cases: They’re B-a-a-a-ck!
(The Role of the Commission, Congress, and the Courts)
Remarks by Jon Leibowitz, Second Annual In-House Counsel’s Forum on Pharmaceutical Antitrust
Philadelphia, PA , April 24, 2006
- Promoting a Culture of Competition
Remarks by Chairman Deborah Platt Majoras, Beijing, China, April 10, 2006
- Consumer Protection Economics at the FTC
Prepared remarks for the Chief Economist Roundtable at the International Industrial Organization Conference, Boston, MA, Michael A. Salinger, April 8, 2006
- Distinguishing Unilateral Conduct From Aggressive Competition
Presented by Chairman Deborah Platt MajorasTokyo, Japan, April 3, 2006
- Assessing Whether What We Know is So, presentation before the ABA, 54th Antitrust Law Spring Meeting
Michael A. Salinger, March 31, 2006.
- Remarks Before the 2006 American Bar Association 54th Antitrust Law Spring Meeting
Jeffrey Schmidt, Washington D.C., March 31, 2006.
- "Rip Van Winkle Awakens: Some Reflections on Remedies"
ABA Antitrust Section Spring Meeting, Federal Trade Commission Remedies: Consumer Protection and Antitrust,
Federal Trade Commission Committee, Washington, DC
March 30, 2006.
- Statement of Chairman Majoras Before the Antitrust Modernization Commission
Deborah Platt Majoras, March 21, 2006
- Remarks Before the International Association of Privacy Professionals National Summit, Washington, DC,
Pamela Jones Harbour, March 10, 2006
- Moneyball and Price Gouging
Michael A. Salinger, Boston Bar Association, Antitrust Committee,
Boston, MA, February 27, 2006.
- Keynote Address to State of California Identity Theft Summit
Teaming Up Against Identity Theft, Los Angeles, CA
Deborah Platt Majoras, February 23, 2006
- "Phone Records for Sale: Why Aren’t Phone Records Safe From Pretexting?", Testimony before the House Committee on Energy and Commerce
Jon Leibowitz, February 1, 2006
- Anti-Spyware Coalition,
Deborah Platt Majoras, Remarks at the Federal Trade Commission, February 9, 2006
- Audio of Remarks:
- Moving Picture Experts Group (MP3)[Audio]
- Video of Remarks:
- Seminario sobre Competencia Economica
Deborah Platt Majoras, Remarks to the Mexican Judicial Training Seminar
Mexico City, Mexico February 1, 2006
- File No. 051 0151
Acquisition by Comcast Corporation and Time Warner Cable Inc. of the Cable Assets of Adelphia Communications Corporation, and Related Transactions
- Statement of Chairman Majoras, Commissioner Kovacic, and Commissioner Rosch
- Statement of Commissioner Leibowitz and Commissioner Harbour
- Remarks of Lydia B. Parnes, Director, Bureau of Consumer Protection, Federal Trade Commission,
Before the Association of National Advertisers, New York, NY, January 25, 2006