The FTC is dedicated to recruiting, building, and maintaining a broadly diverse work force. We believe that there is enormous collective strength in our collective differences. Diversity and inclusion in employment is also essential to the success of the FTC’s consumer protection and competition missions. In order for the FTC to protect consumers and preserve competition, we seek a workforce that reflects the diversity of the consumers we serve. Towards that end, the FTC strives to achieve and maintain an environment that is free from discrimination and that embraces the principles of equality, excellence, and mutual respect by:
- Attracting, developing, and retaining a diverse workforce that reflects America’s differences in age, color, culture, disabilities, gender, marital or parental status, national origin, race, religion, and sexual orientation;
- Identifying and promoting the leadership capabilities of employees;
- Providing a full and fair opportunity for all employees to pursue a career in the Federal service and to advance based upon their performance and abilities;
- Enabling all employees to carry out their duties in the workplace free from unlawful discrimination, including sexual harassment and retaliation for engaging in legally protected activities; and
- Creating an inclusive work environment that fosters communication, encourages cross-cultural understanding and acceptance, and solicits varying opinions and approaches, and in which our employees feel valued, involved, supported and respected.
The FTC has an Agency-wide Diversity Council, as well as bureau-specific diversity councils and affinity groups, each of which create and support the development of innovative ideas, effective strategies, and allocation of resources to recruit and retain diverse employees in all areas of employment. By leveraging our different demographic, functional, and intellectual views, we will successfully create an inclusive and sustainable work environment that cultivates our employees, enhances our innovation and analyses, and improves our enforcement and regulatory efforts.