A Conference on
BEHAVIORAL ECONOMICS AND CONSUMER POLICY
Sponsored by the Bureau of Economics
Federal Trade Commission
Bureau of Economics Division of Consumer Protection Staff Reports
A few of our older reports are not available electronically. You may be able to borrow copies of these reports through an interlibrary loan arranged by your local library.
- Improving Consumer Mortgage Disclosures: An Empirical Assessment of Current and Prototype Disclosure Forms - James M. Lacko and Janis K. Pappalardo, June 2007
- Children's Exposure to TV Advertising in 1977 and 2004: Information for the Obesity Debate - Debra J. Holt, Pauline M. Ippolito, Debra M. Desrochers, Christopher R. Kelley, June 2007
- Consumer Perceptions of Heart-Health Claims for Cooking Oils and Vegetable Oil Spreads - R. Dennis Murphy, Pauline M. Ippolito, and Janis K. Pappalardo, April 2007
- Consumer Fraud in the United States: An FTC Survey - Keith B. Anderson, August 2004
- The Effect of Mortgage Broker Compensation Disclosures on Consumers and Competition: A Controlled Experiment - James M. Lacko and Janis K. Pappalardo, February 2004
- Advertising Nutrition and Health: Evidence from Food Advertising 1977-1997 - Pauline M. Ippolito and Janis K. Pappalardo, September 2002
- Survey of Rent-to-Own Customers - James M. Lacko, Signe-Mary McKernan, and Manoj Hastak, April 2000
- A Generic Copy Test of Food Health Claims in Advertising - R. Dennis Murphy (principal author), Theodore H. Hoppock, and Michelle K. Rusk (contributing authors), November 1998. A joint report of the Bureau of Economics and the Bureau of Consumer Protection.
- Information and Advertising Policy: A Study of Fat and Cholesterol Consumption in the United States. 1977-1990 - Pauline M. Ippolito and Alan D. Mathios, September 1996
- An Analysis of Department Store Reference Pricing in Metropolitan Washington - Ronald S. Bond and R. Dennis Murphy, September 1992
- The Costs and Benefits of Occupational Regulation - Carolyn Cox and Susan Foster, October 1990
- "Information, Advertising and Health Choices: A Study of the Cereal Market" - Pauline M. Ippolito and Alan D. Mathios, The RAND Journal of Economics Vol. 21, No. 3 (Autumn 1990), pp.459-480.
- How Should Health Claims for Foods Be Regulated? An Economic Perspective - John E. Calfee and Janis K. Pappalardo, September 1989
- An Analysis of the Funeral Rule Using Consumer Survey Data on the Purchase of Funeral Goods and Services - Timothy P. Daniel, April 1988
- Regulation of Advertising: Capital Market Effects - Alan Mathios and Mark Plummer, April 1988
- Minimum Quality Versus Disclosure Regulations: State Regulation of Interstate Opened-Ended Investment Company and Common Stock Issues - John C. Hilke, United States Federal Trade Commission, Bureau of Economics. Washington, DC: US Federal Trade Commission. June 1987.
- Experimental Studies of Markets with Buyers Ignorant of Quality Before Purchase: When Do "Lemons" Drive Out High Quality Products? - Michael Lynch, Ross Miller, Charles R. Plott, and Russell Porter, September 1986
- Product Quality and Information in the Used Car Market - James M. Lacko, April 1986
- Empirical Approaches to Consumer Protection Economics: Proceedings of a Conference Sponsored by the Bureau of Economics, Federal Trade Commission, April 26-27, 1984 - Pauline M. Ippolito and David T. Scheffman, Eds., United States Federal Trade Commission, Bureau of Economics. Washington, DC: US Federal Trade Commission. March 1986.
- Life Insurance Products and Consumer Information - Michael P. Lynch and Robert J. Mackay - November 1985
- Generic Substitution and Prescription Drug Prices: Economic Effects of State Drug Product Selection Laws - Alison Masson and Robert L. Steiner, United States Federal Trade Commission. October 1985. Washington, DC: US Federal Trade Commission.
- Improving Consumer Access to Legal Services: The Case for Removing Restrictions on Truthful Advertising - William W. Jacobs, Brenda W. Doubrava, Robert P. Weaver, Douglas O. Stewart, Eric L. Prahl, William R. Porter, Nathaniel Greenspun, and R. Dennis Murphy, United States Federal Trade Commission, Cleveland Regional Office, and United States Federal Trade Commission, Bureau of Economics. Washington DC: US Federal Trade Commission. November 1984.
- A Comparative Analysis of Cosmetic Contact Lens Fitting by Ophthalmologists, Optometrists, and Opticians: Report – Gary D. Haily, Johnathan R. Bromberg, and Joseph P. Mulholland, December 1983
- Staff Report on Effects of Restrictions on Advertising and Commercial Practice in the Professions: The Case of Optometry - Ronald S. Bond, John E. Kwoka, Jr., John J. Phelan, and Ira Taylor Whitten, September 1980
- Staff Report on Consumer Responses to Cigarette Health Information - Richard A. Ippolito, R. Dennis Murphy, and Donald Sant, August 1979
- Life Insurance Cost Disclosure: A Staff Report to the Federal Trade Commission - David C. Fix, Jack E. Kahn, Peter K. Pitsch, Michael C. McCarey, George S. Kopp, and Albert H. Kramer, Bureau of Consumer Protection; Michael P. Lynch, Edward A. Manfield, John P. Brown, and William S. Comanor, Bureau of Economics. United States Federal Trade Commission. Washington, DC: US Federal Trade Commission. July 1979