|From: "John & Carole Levi"
Date: Tue, Jul 13, 1999 12:34 AM
Subject: Public Comment to the Trade Regulation Rule
on Funeral Industry Practices
I wish to submit the following public comments for your
consideration, and concerning your agency's review of the current Trade
Regulation Rule on Funeral Industry Practices, which include those
recommended by the Funeral and Memorial Societies of America (FAMSA):
- 1) I support the elimination of any "non-declinable
- 2) To have the FTC consider the regulation and oversight of
cemeteries and cemetery-related sales of products.
- 3) To add four items to the required itemization on the General
Price List-namely, the price for private viewing without embalming,
the price for body donation to a medical school, and the price for
- 3) To have mortuary ownership (i.e. when owned by a large
conglomerate), openly disclosed on all letterhead, GPLs, and
- 4) A requirement that the cost of the cremation process be
included in the charge for an immediate or "direct"
- 5) A requirement that any mark-up on cash advance items be
disclosed with the actual amount to be charged.