Computers & the InternetOnline Shopping & E-Payments
- OnGuard Online
Provides practical tips from the federal government and the technology industry to help you be on guard against Internet fraud, secure your computer, and protect your personal information.
Facts for Consumers
- Check 21: Substitute Checks, Electronic Processing, and What It Means To You
Explains how your paper checks can be replaced with copies called "substitute checks" or other electronic items. 8.5"x11", 4 pages.
- Cooling Off Rule
Explains your three-business-day right to cancel purchases of $25 or more that are made in your home or at a location that is not the seller's permanent place of business. 8.5"x11", 4 pages.
- Electronic Banking [PDF]
Discusses a variety of electronic fund transfer (EFT) services: automated teller machines, direct deposit, pay-by-phone systems, personal computer banking, and point-of-sale transfers. 4"x9", 18 pages, color.
- Electronic Check Conversion [PDF]
Explains how electronic check conversion works. Offers tips on keeping close tabs on your accounts. 8.5"x11", 4 pages.
- 9 Online Shopping Tips [PDF]
- Being Frank about Search Engine Rank [PDF]
- Check Overpayment Scams: Seller Beware [PDF] [en español]
- Fraudulent Online Payday Lenders: Tapping Your Bank Account Again and Again [PDF] [en español]
Cautions consumers about the perils of online payday loans. Offers tips for shopping for credit.
- "Free Trials" Aren't Always Free
Explains how "free trials" work and how to avoid the costs that might be hiding in some free trial offers. 8.5"x11", 2 pages.
- Going, Going, Gone: Using Wire Transfers for Internet Auction Purchases Can Be Risky [PDF]
- Going Shopping? Go Global! A Guide for E-Consumers [PDF] [en español]
- Layaway: Another Way to Buy [PDF] [en español]
- Online Auctions: Bidders Be Wary [PDF]
- Online Penny Auctions: Nothing for Something? [PDF]
- Explains how online penny auctions work and how to recognize some of their pitfalls before you get caught in a bidding frenzy. 8.5"x11", 2 pages.
- Living Life Online [PDF]
Newspaper supplement that teaches kids about being good digital citizens: staying safe online, thinking critically, understanding advertising, and having good online and cell phone etiquette. For kids ages 8-14. 10.5"x12.5", 16 pages, color.
- Avoiding the Pitfalls of Online Penny Auctions [PDF]
Explains how online penny auctions work and how to recognize some of their pitfalls before you get caught in a bidding frenzy.
- Research Can Help Online Buyers Save Money [PDF]
Offers tips to help you get the best deal when you shop online.