Computers & the InternetBuying a Computer & Internet Access
- OnGuard Online
Provides practical tips from the federal government and the technology industry to help you be on guard against Internet fraud, secure your computer, and protect your personal information.
- Shopping Online Infographic [PDF]
Tips to get a great product at a great price when you shop online. 8.5"x11", 1 page, color.
Facts for Consumers
- Keeping Laptops From Getting Lost or Stolen [PDF]
Steps to take to avoid getting your laptop lost or stolen. 8.5"x 11", 2 pages.
- Securing Your Wireless Network [PDF]
"Guide to securing your wireless network - at your home or business. 8.5""x11"", 4 pages."
- Shopping for Broadband: Satisfying Your Need for Speed
[PDF] [en español]
Explains how broadband works and the types of broadband that are available. Offers shopping tips and questions to ask providers. 8.5"x11", 4 pages.
- VoIP: It’s A Phone, It’s a Computer, It’s ...
[PDF] [en español]
Informs consumers of the benefits and risks associated with receiving their telephone service via Voice over Internet Protocol. 8.5"x11", 4 pages.
- Churches Cheated in Opportunity Scam [PDF]
Warns African-American churches that con artists are targeting them with the offer of “free” equipment or services if the church will sign a lease and make payments that will then be covered by a sponsor. Explains that once scammers get access to the church’s bank account, they make oversize withdrawals or clean it out. 8.5”x11”, 1 page.
- "Free" and "Low-Cost" PC Offers. Go Figure.
- Hide and Go Seek: Finding the Disclosures in "Free" Internet Service Offers
- Laptop Security Tips Bookmark [PDF]
A bookmark with steps to help avoid having your laptop lost or stolen. 2" x 8.5", 2 pages, color.
Articles You can reprint these articles in your newsletter, magazine or website.
- Be Safe Online: OnGuard Online [PDF]
Being on guard online can help protect your information, your computer-even yourself. Seven practices can help you be safer while surfing.
- Holiday Shopping on the Internet: Discovering Which Web Sites are Naughty or Nice [PDF]
Whether you’re looking for a toy, a trinket or a travel deal, doing your holiday shopping on the Internet can be fun, easy, and practical. At the same time, viewing a product on the screen can present different challenges than seeing it in the store. The FTC offers recommendations to help you have a successful experience when buying from an online retailer or an auction website.
- Holiday Shopping on the Internet: Planning Ahead for Secure Surfing [PDF]
The Federal Trade Commission, the nation's consumer protection agency, encourages shoppers to follow these tips to steer clear of holiday grinches.
- Research Can Help Online Buyers Save Money [PDF]
Offers tips to help you get the best deal when you shop online.